Circle of Magic :: Daja Kisubo
She was a big young woman with glossy brown skin, a wide mouth, and large, perceptive brown eyes. She wore her wiry black hair in masses of long, thin braids wrapped, coiled, and pinned at the back of her head, an elegant style that drew attention to the muscled column of her neck. [The Will of the Empress]
Real talk guys if you haven’t read Tamora Pierce’s Circle of Magic series you need to go do that right now. I don’t care how old you are, you need to read these books okay. Here’s why:
- it’s about KIDS growing up and coming into their own identities
- you may not have realized this by the series title, but it’s also about MAGIC FANTASY WORLD HELL YEAH
- speaking of magic fantasy world, HOLY WORLDBUILDING, BATMAN!!!
- i mean this tamora pierce who created the tortall universe what did you expect EXCELLENT WORLDBUILDING YES GOOD
- (what do you mean you don’t know the tortall universe okay put that on your reading list too)
- 4 kids. 3 girls, 1 boy, coming from a variety of ethnicities and socioeconomic statuses and they ALL COME TOGETHER AS A FAMILY DON’T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE FOUND FAMILY FEELS OF THIS WORLD
- they all have mentors who are competent adults and also from a variety of ethnicities and socioeconomic statuses with very different approaches to teaching and raising these kids do you understand there is a lot of VARIETY and DIVERSITY in the children and their mentors in every possible way
- there are also QUEER MAIN CHARACTERS although on the kids’ part you have to sit tight and wait a bit because they are children and their sexuality doesn’t take a big developing point until they’re older in a later series, y’know, like a natural person’s growth and stuff
- spoiler alert NONE OF THEM FALL IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER IN THE FUTURE BECAUSE THIS IS ALL ABOUT FOUND FAMILY ROMANCE TAKES A BACK SEAT i mean romance is there when they get older but THIS IS ALL ABOUT FOUND FAMILY GUYS
- the kids have COMPLEX BACKGROUNDS coming from places like severe trauma, abandonment, survivor’s guilt, abuse - like this is stuff from square one of the story okay and we tackle all of it
- they deal with BIG FLASHY MAGIC STUFF and also SERIOUSLY PERSONAL EMOTIONAL STUFF and did i mention these books are about SMALL CHILDREN they grow and mature in front of your eyes and it is wonderful
- read the circle of magic series, guys, and then its sequel series the circle opens where THE STUDENTS BECOME MENTORS OF THEIR OWN SO GOOD, and then you absolutely need to read the will of the empress where they all come back together again
But seriously. Read the Circle of Magic series, and realize just how much storytelling and diversity of characters can be packed into a small series about small children. And then demand that kind of excellence from everything you read from now on.
A playlist of happy, alternative songs to listen to on your way to school.
"Woke up this morning early before my family, from this dream where she was trying to show me, how a life can move from the darkness, she said to get better."
After The Fall
But you ain’t leaving without a fight and I think I am just as torn inside.
Dedicated to all the hurting hearts.
01. Where I Stood | Missy Higgins // 02. Falling Out of Love | Aqualung // 03. I Wish You Love | Rachael Yamagata // 04. The Longer I Run | Peter Bradley Adams // 05. Call It Off | Tegan and Sara // 06. I Don’t Feel It Anymore | William Fitzsimmons // 07. Reason Why | Rachael Yamagata // 08. Harder Now That It’s Over | Ryan Adams // 09. Blame It On Me (George Ezra cover) | Jenny Bowen // 10. I Have Made Mistakes | The Oh Hellos // 11. For The First Time | The Script // 12. Where Does The Good Go | Tegan and Sara // 13. Come Pick Me Up | Ryan Adams // 14. Ex Factor (Lauryn Hill cover) | Holly Miranda // 15. I Know It’s Over | The Smiths // 16. Breathe (2 A.M.) | Anna Nalick // 17. All Comes Down | Kodaline // 18. Almost Lover | A Fine Frenzy // 19. Goodbye My Lover | James Blunt // 20. After The Fall | Kodaline
Oksana Skorik and Evgeny Ivanchenko in Swan Lake
mythology meme |  muses, nymphs and/or other : muses
Svetlana Zakharova in Adagio
Iceland: “You’re shooting on this beautiful landscape but there is no-one else to be seen. It was wonderful and sensational in that way because there weren’t huge cranes and equipment. I now have a deep love for Iceland because it is associated with such wonderful memories.”
Even if you’ve been working a while, you may find that you’re living paycheck to paycheck, without enough left over to meet your goals. That’s why you need a budget strategy.
book i- a boy with f i r e in his eyes
book ii- a boy with warmth in his h e a r t
book iii- the retelling of t h i s and this and this
in which a gay cover of one of the most quintessential modern american love songs is a thing that exists